How to Enable Batch Item Checkouts in Koha
One circulation desk. One computer. Dozens of patrons with piles of books to checkout…
That’s what a typical day in the life of a librarian looks like. The library circulation desk is often a chaotic scene where an overworked librarian has to tend to the needs of impatient patrons. So it doesn’t help if you are checking out one item at a time. But did you know that Koha has an option to checkout multiple items to a patron, all at ONCE!? Yes it does, but, it doesn’t come enabled by default.
In this tutorial we are going to show you how to enable batch item checkouts in Koha, and save you (and your sanity) from your patrons.
Enable Batch Item Checkouts in System Preferences
- Login to your Koha staff interface
- Click on Koha Administration
- Go to Global System Preferences
- Click on Circulation
- Go to the Batch Checkout Preference (right at the top)
- Change the option under Batch checkouts to Allow batch checkouts
- Under the option BatchCheckoutsValidCategories, enter the category codes (separated by a pipe – i.e “|” – [Shift + \ or Forward slash]). For example, if you want to enable batch checkouts for patron categories Staff and General Patron who happen to have use the patron codes “S” and “GP” respectively, enter “S|GP” in the value box.
- Click Save all circulation preferences
Checkout Batch Items to Patrons in Circulation
- Go to Home > Circulation and attempt to checkout items to a patron
- You will now see Batch Checkout as one of the options in the left hand tabs in your checkout screen
- To use the Batch Checkout system, you can either:
- Upload a file with the barcodes of the items you want to checkout to the patron (enter the barcodes into a .txt file) or
- Scan the barcodes one by one into the barcode list text area.
- When you are done, click Check Out and voila! That’s it
The Koha Batch Checkout tool will increase your day to day efficiency, leaving you with happier patrons and more time on your hands to do all that other important library stuff.
Did you find this article helpful? Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? Let us know in the comments section below!